top of page
  • Writer's pictureEarl Sullivan

April, I love you...

When the chance to score somewhat empty Lagundry Bay with a moderate 4-6’ SSW swell appears on the radar, you don’t think twice, you pull the trigger. Coco and crew had been working with me for 4 weeks on making the most of a 9 day trip in a two weeks travel window to score in the Hinakos, just west of Nias Island. They live in Bali and their goal was to score perfect waves, perfectly empty, before the post pandemic crowds come swarming back to Indo. We had our eyes on the swell charts and something good was coming down the pipe, the winds were forecast NW for the first days, onshore at Asu, the crown jewel of the Hinakos, but offshore in Lagundry… time to pull the trigger.

Coco called me up. “Do you think it’s worth stopping in at Lagundry Bay on the way in?” he asked. This is exactly the kind of question that inspired me to create Asu Camp’s “Lagundry Strike Mission” package. The idea is to book a stay at Asu Camp for your available window and if the elements align, get down to Lagundry Bay for 3 days/2 nights of pumping right hand perfection. So, with northwest winds and a 5’@16s SSW swell on the charts all I had to say was, “Oh, yeah.” Click, bang.

In classic third world surf trip travel fashion, their early morning flight from Sumatra to Nias was cancelled and changed to a late morning flight, which then got delayed an hour. Alas, they arrived just after low tide on the afternoon of the peak of the swell, right into the mouth of the beast. It was pumping, it was lovely. Lagundry at 4-5’ is an incredible wave, the stuff of dreams, barreling, but friendly, powerful, but forgiving. Only the occasional 6’ set had most of the crew in the water scrambling for the channel, because at 6’+ she has teeth, the bottom drops out a little harder, the top throws over a little farther, and everything about the take-off gets a touch more critical.

Lagundry getting started on April 5

I surfed for 3 hours into the dropping tide awaiting their arrival. The wind went WSW for 30 minutes at low tide and I thought all might be lost, but it just emptied the lineup of the crew that was already tiring out. When Coco and crew arrived there were only 10 people in the water and the wind was back offshore. A COVID dream come true. Lunch in the belly and they were out there.

Earl at Lagundry

Coco paid the ultimate price for the trip. With a local guy charging through a tube straight into his line of paddle, he had to take an alternate route under the pit, ditch his board, and caught the rail of the nose of his board on the outside of his left shin, blasting open a nice mouth into the skin of his shin…into the beach for 5 stitches. The dark side and brutal truth of a swell day gone wrong.

Coco (above) and Jonas (below) at Lagundry

Day 2 was for Luca, Jonas, and Jil to reap the offerings on hand. Most people had cooked themselves on day 1 of the swell and day 2 was still offering overhead tubes with just a handful of humans. Low tide was especially kind and they all had multiple sessions while Coco looked on from his new ‘home office’, tracking sales while the boys tracked tubes.




Coco's home office for a couple days

Day 3 was a perfect travel day, cool and cloudy weather, and the swell in the Bay had faded away. We hit the road for the Hinakos anticipating a windy crossing as the forecast was for the wind to fade the next day. We arrived to the west coast port and were greeted with south winds, already offshore at Asu. What a blessing.

Day 4 and Asu is pumping, with the westerly direction in the swell, Asu gets a lot more juice than the Bay down south. The wind is slightly out of the east, we wait, eat breakfast and I alleviate the boy’s fears of how close the wave breaks to the reef. Trust me, I say, it’s bigger than it looks and deeper than it looks. We give it some time for the east wind to back off before we head out, but the crew is eager and it’s hard to hold people back from almost perfect waves, even with the promise that it will soon be 'more' perfect. When we do get out, it’s exactly as promised, bigger than it looked and plenty of space between us and the reef. Everyone gets some fun ones, but the east wind hasn’t really let up and it’s not very clean. We make the best of it for 2 hours as it slowly cleans up. At 1pm we are ready for lunch and the wind is, ironically enough, dying down and the waves settle into the glassiest we’ve seen all day. Lunch is amazing and we digest and rest in the hammocks.

Coco had to watch the session from the beach and he is ready to get in the water again, but he’s not sure about surfing. I gave him some medical grade super glue to seal the wound and stitches from the water and the boys are eager to go spear fishing on another island, leaving me to do the afternoon dance with glassy Asu all by myself. Another solo session in the books with lovely 4’ Asu, just another day on the job. The boys came home with a lovely little 2kg baby wahoo we will have off the BBQ tomorrow for lunch, for now it’s lasagna for dinner and we wash it down with some Rum to celebrate a fantastic day.


Day 5 Winds are super light, amazing glass out front, swell is fading, some nice 4’ sets every 5-10 minutes, but everyone is hung over from last night and moving slow. The crew are still intimidated by how close it seems the wave is breaking to the reef and now that it’s a touch smaller, even more so.

Morning glass at Asu

Coco's view from the Bungalow

We leave at 11am for Bawa and the ocean is an amazing sheet of glass in all directions. By the time we get to Bawa there is a light side-onshore wind from the WSW, but the wave is unaffected. Lovely 4’ peaks and walls are rolling in and we are out there. Over the next 2.5 hours the wind slowly clocks around to the west and goes more and more offshore, but the swell is fading. Still peppered with solid sets every half hour, everyone gets their share of Bawa bombs and fun walls.





All cooked from a super fun session, we head home to eat the fish from last night, and what a fish it was, amazing flakey white flesh that is perfectly cooked over the coconut shell coals by chef Lili. Out of this world flavor. The boys are hungry for more fishing and they shoot back over to the 'fish tank' for another shot. They come home with 2 small fish, not as good as last night is the report. For me, the surf was fading and the light onshore west wind made for a perfect breeze to start rebuilding the beach shack for the 2022 season.

View from the Beach Shack

Day 6 Awoke to another day of no wind and absolute glass surrounding us in all directions. Swell has dropped a touch more and only a few ridable waves at Asu, so we head to Bawa after breakfast.

Coco snapping on Bawa

Bawa is clean and pumping, 3-4’ and super fun. The wind slowly creeps up out of the south and bumps it up and sends us home happy at midday. Winds are up in the afternoon out of the WSW and I tell the guys that it’s side shore at Bawa and Asu. With the swell picking up tomorrow for the next 3 days, I recommend taking the afternoon to rest and relax or spearfish if they want to stay active. Coco and Jonas go spearfishing and Coco nabs a beautiful snapper for lunch tomorrow.

Coco with his snapper

Bromantic sunset cruise home from Bawa

Day 7 we awoke to grey and ominous skies, 3-4’ waves at Asu, but east winds up the face and a looming, massive thunder cloud is approaching the island from behind us. It wasn’t long before we were enjoying breakfast in the shelter of the kitchen while the tropical rain thundered down. The day would not turn out as expected. The light southerly wind forecasted turned into a north wind, so we set out to make something of the rising swell. We found a fun right hander that was clean and offshore, with the rising swell filling in slowly we managed to squeeze a fun surf session out of a funky day.

Day 8 was glorious. Glassy conditions in the morning and the rising swell starting to show, though still not quite what we had anticipated. The East wind slowly filled in bumping up the faces, but I assured the guys that the midday session would provide. And provide it did. The boys scored super fun well overhead racing Asu walls and I stayed on the beach to record the show with my lens. The wind came up out of the west just a touch too much in the afternoon and Asu never really recovered. Luca went out for a few bumpy ones to himself, but it was more work than reward and he even ended up snapping his board when ditching under a big set, sometimes the price must be paid.

Asu morning day 8




One, of many, that got away...

The Presidential Suite sunset view, this bungalow is amazing...

Day 9 and the winds are out of the East, the swell is down at Asu and we go look at a secret left hander in the neighborhood. Upon arrival there are nice waves, but there is a squall to the south that is looming and ends up running us down and killing the waves with a strong south wind within minutes of getting our first few waves. Back to Asu where the south wind has come perfectly offshore and slow but sure 3-4’ sets are rolling in for the patient 3 of us that wait for them.

The crew packed their stuff and head for the hotel near the airport that afternoon. 8 nights, 9 days, 5 different waves surfed, 4 fish speared, 1 bottle of rum crushed, and so many smiles. Another successful Indo adventure in the books with Asu Camp. Big thanks to Coco, Luca, Jonas and Jil for putting their trust in me and the Asu Camp crew. Check out our google business profile to see the reviews left by these and other satisfied surfers. Looking forward to the next adventure already.

Asu sunsets, no better place to be at 18:30

474 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page